CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Pineapple Lily - update

I haven't been very frequent with updates on the growth of my pineapple lily .... if you've seen the earlier posts, it was growing about an inch a day or so.... which I think is pretty darn awesome.  I staked and tied it (gently) about a week and a half ago, tying it just beneat the flower base.  This is where it's at today.....

I put a 30cm/12 inch ruler alongside it, to show you I'm no' lyin'! The stalk is not straight, and the ruler is a little 'neath the soil, so it is clearly longer than 12 inches.  The flower from it's base, to the very top of the spikes atop is a tad under 8 inches.  As you can see, it has started to flower, and it will be stunning when it is in full bloom!

I'm so excited about it, since when it came home 2 years ago, Becky removed the flower head a day later, .... it has suffered NASTY hot summers and drought, and this is the result .... I can't wait to show it in bloom!

5 cared to share!:

Claire said...

Wow Pauline, I can't believe how its grown! What a beautiful plant! It looks beautiful already but when its in full flower it will be even more gorgeous
You must have green fingers
Claire xx

Julie said...

Thats amazing! It's going to look fab in full bloom.

I've not green fingered at all - even my cactus was taken away by friends to be rescued and anyone can grow them!! xx

Tahnya Marie said...

That's beautiful, I might show my Aunt Torhild your photo, she loves plants. Her pride and joy is her Batwing Plant. I have to say, it's absolutely stunning. If you would like to see it, here is a link to my Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/smittenwithspirit/5461905284/

Patricia St Martin said...

I have something on my blog for you if you get a chance stop by.

Ellis said...

Such a beautiful flower, looks great and good it's survived all of those things! =)
Thanks for the nice comment! =)
Hugs, Elenor

http://www.metrobloggen.se/paltbarn